The Last Campaign: Robert F. Kennedy and 82 Days that Inspired America by Thurston Clarke
First, I must say that I am a fan of narrowly scoped biographies. So much more can be learned by focusing on a small, rather specific, event or period of time as opposed to trying to capture a man or woman's entire life into one book.
By focusing on the 82 days between Bobby Kennedy's announcement that he would run for President and the night of his assassination, Clarke was able to show the ebbs and flows of Kennedy's final days. In this book, we are able to see development of campaign. Through the pages, we witness Robert Kennedy throwing his full person into his bid to win the Democratic nomination. I never knew how much his desire to become President consumed him.
Obviously, we know how the story ends. How we get there is fascinating.
Through the memories and memoirs of those who traveled the country with him during those 82 days, we are with Kennedy when he finds out Lyndon Johnson decided not to seek re-election. We are with him in the hours and days after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. We are with him when he loses the Oregon primary and becomes the first Kennedy to lose an election.
It is amazing to me that after 40 years, Clarke was able to paint such an emotional portrait of the man, that he was able to provide a very clear picture of what seemingly made the man tick.
I must also laud the author for refraining from taking potshots at those with dissimilar political views. That never makes for good reading.
As it stands, I think The Last Campaign is just about as good as it could be. If it feels incomplete, it is only because Robert Kennedy's life was. I highly recommend it for anyone with any interest in Bobby Kennedy.
A-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment