Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Not My Favorite

Favorite by Stephanie McQuestion

This book was all over the place. The premise was enticing, which is why I started reading it in the first place. Unfortunately, I think the author was a little unsure of what she was trying to accomplish.

The protagonist of this first person narrative, Angel Favorite, is sixteen years old during the events of Favorite, and her language is consistent with someone of that age. Her thoughts, though, are more of what I'd expect from someone who is nine or ten. There is some mild cussing, so I don't think Stephanie McQuestion intended this novel to be read by anyone younger than a young adult. However, I do not see how any young adult would feel this book was at his/her level.

Angel's thoughts are so juvenile they give Favorite the feel of a children's book. Her choices are consistently wrong; they exhibit questionable judgment at best and stupidity at worst. And she's a goody-two shoes. The entire plot of this novel is driven by these qualities. It is far from the only example, but all the events of Favorite are set in motion because Angel leaves her wallet on the seat of her unlocked car while she attempts to walk back into the dry cleaners to tell them they gave her back too much change for her transaction.

I've never read any of McQuestion's other works; I do not know her style. I do know that I don't like that she set up clairvoyance as a gun on the table that was never really used. It is mentioned in the first sentence of the novel. It is presented to us in such a way that we are to believe it will be a big deal in Favorite. It doesn't play a part at all except in such a haphazard way. It is nothing more than a throw-in. In my opinion, that is poor writing. I was very disappointed by that.

As I said earlier, the premise is promising. There is a lot there from which a great story can be crafted. The final product, I'm sorry to say, failed for me on nearly every level. At least it wasn't boring.

D-

No comments:

Post a Comment