Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Best of Rivals

Best of Rivals: Joe Montana, Steve Young, and the Inside Story behind the NFL’s Greatest Quarterback Controversy by Adam Lazarus

I had two major issues with this book. First, the title was misleading. It is a pretty straightforward title, one that leads a reader to believe he/she knows exactly what is in store. Unfortunately, that was not the case. A better description—and title—would be a chronological examination of the San Francisco 49ers’ quarterbacking legacy. This book was not what it was marketed to be. In this regard, the book wasn’t bad; it just wasn’t what I thought I was buying. I feel misled. Had it been titled accurately, I would not have purchased it.

The other, more serious, issue is that things presented in the book as facts were incorrect. I don’t think examples are necessary here, but there were many blatant errors that disrupted my reading experience. When I read a work of nonfiction and know that some things are wrong, I begin to doubt the truthfulness of the presented items I did not already know. Some of the things are minor, yes, but the shadow of doubt they cast is large. This is the primary reason for the low rating I gave the book. Still, it is a nostalgic read for anyone who fondly remembers the DeBartolo-era 49ers.

C-

No comments:

Post a Comment