A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane
Last night I read a review on Goodreads that stated the racial references in A Drink Before the War were outdated. What a ridiculous statement. There is no statement on race in America that is outdated except, maybe, slavery. While Dennis Lehane's debut novel has received much praise, misguided thoughts like the one referenced above probably had a great deal to do with it not receiving even more. Race, more specifically, racial imbalance and misunderstanding, are at the heart of this novel. Lehane, much to his credit, does not skirt around the issue. Instead he deals with it in a very real and mature way, but better than just about any White author I can recall.
There is no perfection here. Everyone in A Drink Before the War is severely flawed. Thinking about it now, I do not think there is a single character I would like to know in real life. But I do know many of them in real life. This appears to be the author's greatest skill.
I love the relationship between the two main characters, Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro. I feel them, and I root for them. I get angry at them and sometimes want to shoot them. But I'm with them.
The technicalities of the case leave a little to be desired. This was not the best technical story, but the emotion of the case and the racial tension that is never hidden make it worthwhile. You will not want to put the book down (it arrived at my door via UPS less than 19 hours ago).
All in all, a great book.
B
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment