Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Just the Start...

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

First, I must say that the Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief novel is much better than the movie. The book is much more adventurous and violent. There are encounters with mythical creatures at every turn, which makes the story fun.

Prior to reading this, I hadn't read a children's book since I was a child. I don't know if all children's books are overly simplistic at times, but I was a little put off by all the exposition and rehashing. Not much thought was required to read the text, but it is a children's book. It was a fun read, though.

The most bothersome thing was that the only two characters we are specifically told are not White are Medusa and Charon. What is that? That's what we get in modern America.

It's just the first of a series, so I don't have too much to say about it. I'm sure my feelings will form more fully after another book or two.

C+

No comments:

Post a Comment