Feed by Mira Grant
This is the smartest zombie story I’ve ever read or watched. Outside of the zombies, this story was full of intelligent commentary on society, politics, and good old human nature. Feed is the tale of a crew of Bay Area-based bloggers who are tasked to follow Senator Peter Ryman of Wisconsin during his Presidential campaign during the 2040 Republican primaries. Mira Grant uses first-person narrative from Georgia Mason’s point of view. Not only is George a great narrator, she is also a great character. She is, frankly, everything I hoped Katniss Everdeen would be.
It’s not just about George, though. Grant’s world building was fantastic. The detail she put into various laws, societal norms, and technological advancement was superb. The origin story of the zombie virus was highly intelligent. One thing that sticks out to me as brilliant is the way George’s retinal disability was handled. It was a very subtle way of showing the everyday inconveniences America’s disabled have to face.
Overall, what this book was about is the realities of life. Just a great, great story. Very well put together. And oh, man, does this book make you emote. I highly recommend this.
My one nitpick is that the end went on a little too long, but that wasn’t bad enough to spoil the greatness that is Feed.
SPOILER BELOW:
Georgia’s is the most difficult character death I’ve ever dealt with. That was the absolute worst. Worse than Wallace and Bodie of The Wire, worse than Cochise from Cooley High, worse than Thomas J. from My Girl, worse than any character death I can think of from any book I’ve read or any TV show or movie I’ve ever watched. That hurt, man. I still can’t believe that George died. Oh, man.
A
Sunday, March 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment