Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Unless an author is going to just pull a reveal out of his/her butt and not give the reader a legitimate chance to figure it out, there is a finite number of possible answers to any mystery. The quality of the story lies not in whether or not the reader can figure it out, but rather in the skill and execution of crafting the tale. This is where The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo succeeds.

Before I had begun reading, I had been warned that the book starts slowly and then really picks up. I did not, however, find the beginning slow. I was engrossed from the start. Part of what I found brilliant was that there was no GIANT MOMENT OF EXCITEMENT to grab the reader. Instead, everything flowed naturally. In addition, the subplots were fit into the major story arc perfectly.

The only gripe I had—and it’s not necessarily a small one—lies in Lisbeth Salander’s dialogue. The fault probably lies at the hands of the translator, but I just don’t believe that character would speak in the manner she does. It was a little off-putting, and for brief moments took me out of the story.

One thing that really helped to draw me in was Stieg Larsson’s scene setting. I felt the shifts in temperature: the chills in the air, the sweltering heat. And I have a vivid picture of all of the characters from Ricky Berger to Isabella Vanger and everyone in between. And I swear to you that I can close my eyes right now and draw a map of Hedeby island, complete with locales—although I couldn’t possibly pronounce the name of most of the important places.

The most important thing I can say is that I was in the story, and it did not take me long to get there. Because it is so engrossing, the political messages feel neither forced nor overwhelming. Everything is...natural.

I loved it. Can’t wait to start the next one. I’m sure I’ll have a lot more to say once I complete the trilogy.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment