Sunday, October 30, 2011

We All Fall Down

We All Fall Down by Michael Harvey

Of the four novels Michael Harvey has written about Michael Kelly, PI, We All Fall Down was the least enjoyable. It’s still fairly enjoyable, though. It’s just not very good. But that’s OK; “good” isn’t really what you’re looking for when you read a Michael Kelly story. These novels are about the gritty, tough Chicago of stereotypes: tough cops, criminal cops, corrupt politicians, drugs, guns, and sex.

We All Fall Down picks up an open piece of the plot of the previous book, The Third Rail. The seeds were there for a very interesting story of madmen and bioterrorism. Instead, we got a far-fetched tale of science fiction that was neither suspenseful nor intriguing. That was neither what I wanted nor what we had been conditioned to expect from Harvey.

Again, it’s not bad, but it’s not at all what I wanted. I’ll continue to read the series, but I was highly disappointed in this installment.

C-

No comments:

Post a Comment