Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Kings of Cool

The Kings of Cool: A Prequel to Savages by Don Winslow

I liked Savages, but I loved The Kings of Cool. The prequel corrected the issues I had with the first book, which were that Ben and Chon and Ophelia were unlikeable and I couldn’t find a way to care about them. In The Kings of Cool, they are five years younger and, therefore, not yet fully formed into the people I didn’t like in Savages. Those five years made a huge difference.

The Kings of Cool is the trio’s true origin story. As is the case with most origin stories, the protagonists’ story isn’t the most interesting part. The previous generation, the people who make up The Association, a group referenced throughout Savages, was fascinating. Stan and Diane and Frederica and Kim and Doc and John. Great stuff. Again, Winslow’s book was smart and funny. And very insightful.

My only complaint is that this O was more like the Ophelia of the Savages film than the one from the first novel. The age difference between her and the boys has a higher impact at a younger age, so that explains some of her naivety. It doesn’t explain, however, the hero-worship of Chon. It wasn’t a big deal, but she was a noticeably different character.

Still, I loved this book.

B+

No comments:

Post a Comment