Perfection Unleashed by Jade Kerrion
This book really wasn’t for me—I’m not a huge fan of stories about telepathic powers. That’s a me thing; it has nothing to do with the story or the writing, so I cannot fault the writer for it. I felt a need to state that as a disclaimer before telling you why I disliked the book.
I did not particularly like the plot. The conflicts between the different types of people could have been interesting. Instead, I felt the story was hurt by the characters, who all seemed to be stereotypes and caricatures. Granted, I only completed half of the novel, so it’s possible I checked out too early; however, I did not read much depth in any of the characters.
For a story involving the idea of genetic perfection, there was, in my opinion, a lack of solid description. For instance, we know Galahad is genetically perfect—whatever that means—but we don’t get a full picture of his appearance. Innuendo and facial reactions seem to be the primary mode of description, and that felt inadequate for the story being told.
And the writing…it didn’t work for me. Too many clichés, too many adverbs, too many contradictory passages, and too many half-expressed thoughts made the book hard to read. Here is an example: “he had never been able to keep his eyes from betraying him, but nothing crept past his iron control.” Another: “If she had taken a step back, she would have seen his staggering beauty, so flawlessly perfect as to be intimidating, but standing so close to him that she could feel his breath against her skin, she could see only the strength in his dark eyes and the gentleness in his smile.” And then romance was pasted on.
Not my kind of book.
Even though I barely read half of the book, I can’t rate it too poorly. I’ve read many awful books in the past couple of years, and this was far better than them. It might be pleasurable for a hardcore science fiction fan.
D
Sunday, July 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment