Sunday, July 29, 2012

Wild Seed

Wild Seed by Octavia Butler

For the most part, I loved Wild Seed. The concept, itself, was interesting, but it would be a gross understatement to apply that adjective to the lead characters. Anyanwu and Doro, in combination, are two of the most unique individuals I’ve ever read. Yes, they are both immortal, but they are both very human in their immortality. They have very mortal thoughts, and these are what drive the plot of the novel.

The horror of this tale is evident from the first few pages. Doro, I think, is the single most fundamentally evil character I’ve come across. Wild Seed is frightening. And the tension is palpable throughout.

The ending, however, is, in my opinion, a copout. I could see it coming, and it ruined most of my good feeling about the book. It would have been an A+ book otherwise.

C+

No comments:

Post a Comment